← Blog / #BlackLivesMatter. Educating myself about Systemic Racism
#BlackLivesMatter. Educating myself about Systemic Racism
Updated 6 June 2020
Make a donation here: Support the Equal Justice Initiative
Published on the 2nd of June, 2020, after 6 days of ongoing protests against police brutality and systemic racism in the USA.
One of the reaons I'm interested in keeping an online blog is learning in public. Previously, I expected that to be product design, typography, code and other tech related things.
But some subjects dwarf tech in importance. As a privileged white man, unlearning a lifetime of living in a world of systemic racism, police brutality and inequity means I need to put in the work. White people, particularly white men — create, enforce and perpetuate systemic racism. That racism exists around the world — in USA, in NZ, and in the UK where I currently live.
I won’t record everything I consume here but I believe it’s important to show a record of learning and be public about it. For all the reasons learning tech in public is good — accounability, progress, showing others the way, self-growth, creating shared resources. People in tech and designers especially love to learn, read, and celebrate being well studied. Time for me to put my actions where it matters. If I happily read 50 articles about UX design, this is the least I can do. Please read these or other resources and do your own learning too.
This is an ongoing list of the books and resources I’m learning from as I learn to do better in matters of systematic racism and inequity.
- My twitter feed, where I follow a wide range of Black people, especially Black Women who are experts in this field, actively listening, observing and learning
- Read 1 June 2020 American Nightmare
- Read 1 June 2020 Becoming a Parent in the Age of Black Lives Matters
- Read 2 June 2020 Letter from a Birmingham Jail [King, Jr.]
- Watched 3 June 2020 Uncomfortable Conversations with a Black Man
- Read 6 June 2020 White Men Privilege
WIP / To Read (currently blocked due to price)
- Books, names and resources to research A list of Notable scholars and research sources
- Books to read Curated list of books to read
- Curated list of books, including specific to tech Curated list of books for white men
- Articles and scholars suggested by @thebryreed
- Malcolm and Martin
- Are Prisons Obsolete?
- Assata (Shakur), An Autobiography
- The Master's Tools Will Never Dismantle the Master's House
- The Ballot or the Bullet
- The Invention of Women: Making an African Sense of Western Gender Discourses
- L020A Sylvia Rivera, “Y’all Better Quiet Down” Original Authorized Video, 1973 Gay Pride Rally NYC
- Toni Morrison Nobel Lecture (1993)
- History Will Absolve Me
- No Place for Self-Pity, No Room for Fear
- Why I Won't Vote
- NYTimes Best Seller book How To Be An Antiracist
- Curated list of books 10 Books About Race To Read Instead Of Asking A Person Of Color To Explain Things To You
- Poems by Maya Angelou Maya Angelou
- A list of books relating to ethical design, published by Amélie Lamont Recommended Reading: Ethics in Design